Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wizards looking for you

No, this is not a warning from the world of Harry Potter...quite simply: the Wizards of the Coast are flushing out speculative fiction talent. So, if you write such creative works, you should keep your eye on their newly developed focus.

Living in Seattle, I can keep a closer eye on this bunch. They are right down the highway and around the corner in Renton. I've been in the hallowed halls of Wizards of the Coast and later got to tour their parent company, Hasbro, back in Rhode Island. A very impressive bastion of creativity I must say...most fascinating was their rapid prototype machine. Watching it whip up a new toy on-the-fly based on engineering specs was pretty darned cool.

Ahh, I'm getting off track here...we're interested in speculative fiction aren't we? Well, I'm here to tell you: this is good news. Having Wizards of the Coast hunting for speculative fiction talent is a sparkling development.

Sharpen your pencils, stock up on ink or charge those laptop batteries...whatever your style, it's time to finish that story and run with it. Magic awaits you.

2 comments:

ALWAYS QUESTION said...

I would love to write speculative science fiction, but I don't think my ego would be much of a buttress against the inevitable rejection slips.......sigh. I've heard it's such a specialized field that it has become a clique that is hard to break into.

N.

Mark Salow said...

Understandably, you are wary. However, you might surprise yourself...speculative fiction sometimes brings out the best of one's imagination. If your work is good, rejection won't be inevitable.