Monday, January 08, 2007

Itzkoff rails against Crichton in "Genetic Park"

Holy over-the-top prose Batman! In this New York Times review article yesterday, Dave Itzkoff elaborates on the many failings of Michael Crichton's latest opus "Next." I'd like to get some feedback here from readers. Since I like to write near-future stories myself, I'd like to read something that pushes it too far as an example of what NOT to do. So, I'll check it out and weigh in myself in a while.

Itzkoff has many examples of how Crichton pushes an extreme agenda too far and in too many ways. According to him: "Crichton seems intent on confusing his readers, pummeling them with a barrage of truths, half-truths and untruths, until they have no choice but to surrender." I can see why Crichton keeps pushing harder and harder with his viewpoints through his prose. After all, he sometimes sponsors New Year's fireworks over Hanalei Bay in Kauai, Hawaii -- indicating that his bankroll skyrockets alongside his clever imagination as it did with Jurassic Park.

Personally, Jurassic Park broadened my view of what could happen if cloning, archaeology and PCA technologies got applied in new and dangerously creative ways. Even if it is considered far-fetched by many scientific critics, it makes conscientious points to consider. Overall, I think such thoughts are healthy to explore in prose. Scientists are very focused on their particular areas of expertise and politicians are mostly concerned with business interests. So, it takes the creative realm to explore the big picture. Crichton does this successfully...especially in his earlier works. However, I'm going to give "Next" a read and see if he's getting too far out there for my tastes.

I'd like to get your opinions on this novel...so please comment if you have input.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read, or should I say "tried to read" M. Crichton's "State of Fear." I got about half way through it and had to stop. This is the only "SF" book that I've ever read this far and stopped. Why did I stop? Because SOF was not really a novel--it was a lecture by wooden, cartoon characters on the evils of the "media's" insistance on Global Warming. Basically SOF was the "reefer madness" of the anti-Global Warming movement. One can only wonder "what in the world has happened to Crichton?"

P.Dings author of Proteus Rising